Businessman working on his tablet in a coffee shop

Security | Stolen identity? Take action.

Report the theft immediately.

If you suspect that your personally identifiable information has been stolen or is being used to run up fraudulent charges, start making phone calls right away and follow up in writing. Keep copies of emails and letters related to the issue, and - preferably - send written communications by Certified Mail, return receipt requested. 

These are the first three steps you should take:

1. Call all three major credit bureaus if you notice an error, wish to file a dispute, or need to freeze or unfreeze your credit.

To place a Fraud Alert on your credit report, you only need to call ONE bureau. They will confirm your Fraud Alert and automatically notify the others.

Equifax: Call 1-888-378-4329 or visit their website to report fraud online.
Experian: Call 1-888-397-3742 or visit their website to report fraud online.
TransUnion: Call 1-800-680-7289 or visit their website to report fraud online.

To receive free credit reports from, visit their federally approved government website

Once you receive your reports, please review them carefully. Look for inquiries you didn't initiate, accounts you didn't open, and unexplained debt. Verify the accuracy of all the information in the report (your Social Security number, address, name, employment history, etc.). Although inaccuracies could be inadvertent typographical mistakes, report any errors to the credit bureau as soon as possible. Continue to check your credit reports periodically to make sure no new fraudulent activity is occurring.

2. Close any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.

• Credit Accounts (banks, credit cards, telephone, internet, utilities, and other service providers). If you're closing existing accounts and opening new ones, be sure to use completely new and unique usernames, passwords, and PINs.

To dispute transactions:
- For new, unauthorized accounts, download an IRS ID Theft Affidavit, PDF, 81kB, if it's acceptable to the company. If not, ask for their fraud dispute form.
- For existing accounts, request the company's fraud dispute form.
- If your ATM or MasterMoney® card has been lost, stolen, or otherwise compromised, call 1-866-546-8273 or stop by any of our eleven branch locations to cancel the card and request a new one with a different PIN.

• Checks
If you believe someone has stolen or misused your checks, call Customer Service at 1-800-344-2274 as soon as possible, and we will notify the appropriate check verification service.

3. File a report with local law enforcement or the police in the community in which the identity theft took place.
Keep a copy of the report or, at a minimum, the report number. You may need it later to validate your claims to creditors.

MasterMoney is a registered trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.